The Philippine Health Research Ethics Board (PHREB) and the Forum for Ethics Review Committees in Asia and the Western Pacific (FERCAP) conducted joint training workshop for accreditation and recognition of ethics review committees in the Philippines. The workshop was co-organized by the Metro Manila Health Research and Development Consortium Subcommittee on Ethics last 14 July 2013 at the Makati Medical Center, in collaboration with the Makati Medical Center Institutional Review Board (MMC IRB).
Dr. Marita Reyes, PHREB Co-Chair, provided an overview of Philippine laws and regulations relevant to health research oversight. She explained that the overall objective of the workshop is to endorse Good Clinical Practice (GCP) and ethics in health research by implementing international and national standars for ethics review committees, as well as promote the national ERC accreditation system, which at the moment is still voluntary. The training included quality assessment standards for ERC operations in order to help ERCs prepare for national accreditation and international recognition. The training was facilitated by Dr. Reyes and other local and international speakers, including Dr. Cristina Torres (FERCAP), Dr. Juntra Karbwang- Laothavorn (Nagasaki University, Japan), Dr. Yupaporn Wattanagoon (Mahidol University, Thailand), and Ms Edlyn Jimenez (MMHRDC and UP Manila).
Dr. Mary Ann Ladia, MMHRDC Program Coordinator, introduced the workshop as an advocacy opportunity for the MMHRDC to promote its mission to offer research capacity strengthening opportunities to MMHRDC member institutions. She highlighted this activity as one that exemplifies partnership and collaboration among member institutions and networking with other consortia and local partners for health research and development.
The workshop was conducted in preparation for the joint PHREB-FERCAP site visit of two MMHRDC institutional ethics review committees, the UP Manila Research Ethics Board (UPMREB) and Manila Doctors Hospital Institutional Review Board (MDH IRB), as well as that of the Makati Medical Center, for national accreditation and international recognition. The joint site visit was conducted by PHREB accreditors and FERCAP international surveyor with the assistance of participating trainees from various ERCs from MMHRDC and other institutions, from 15-24 July 2013.
Participating MMHRDC ERCs:
- Far Eastern University-Nicanor Reyes Medical Foundation (FEU-NRMF)
- Manila Doctors Hospital (MDH)
- Manila Central University-Filemon D. Tanchoco Medical Foundation (MCU-FDTMF)
- University of the East-Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center (UERMMMC)
- University of the Philippines Manila (UPM)
- University of Santos Tomas (UST)
Participants from other ERCs:
- National Ethics Committee
- Department of Health Research Ethics Committee
- Asian Eye Institute (AEI), Makati, NCR
- Chong Hua Hospital, Cebu City, Region VII
- De La Salle Health Sciences Institute (DLSHI), Dasmariñas, Cavite, Region IV-A
- Makati Medical Center (MMC), Makati, NCR
- National Kidney and Transplant Institute (NKTI), Quezon City, NCR
- Mariano Marcos Memorial Hospital and Medical Center (MMMHMC), Batac, Ilocos Norte, Region I
- Philippine Heart Center (PHC), Quezon City, NCR
- St. Luke’s Medical Center (SLMC), Quezon City, NCR
- University of Perpetual Help Dalta Medical Center (UPHDMC), Las Piñas City, NCR